SAVE TRANSLATE Command
Elio Spinello
2018-08-08 22:40:44 UTC

I am using a SAVE TRANSLATE command with a RENAME subcommand that runs
properly in SPSS. In PSPP, the RENAME command is producing an error whenever
a field name containing one or more spaces is specified, such as in the
example below. If I remove the spaces, it runs properly, but with spaces it
produces an "expecting variable name" error. I have tried with and without
parentheses and gotten the same result.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if there is an idiosyncrasy to the syntax
that I am missing.

Elio Spinello

Elio Spinello

Partner

RPM Consulting, LLC

17130 Devonshire St. Suite 101

Northridge, CA 91325

v. (818) 831-7607

f. (818) 831-9078

mobile: (818) 570-ELIO (3546)
Ben Pfaff
2018-08-09 15:20:36 UTC
Post by Elio Spinello
I am using a SAVE TRANSLATE command with a RENAME subcommand that runs
properly in SPSS. In PSPP, the RENAME command is producing an error whenever
a field name containing one or more spaces is specified, such as in the
example below. If I remove the spaces, it runs properly, but with spaces it
produces an "expecting variable name" error. I have tried with and without
parentheses and gotten the same result.
I'm not sure if this is a bug or if there is an idiosyncrasy to the syntax
that I am missing.
Thanks for the report. This is a bug because, before you pointed it
out, I hadn't known that SAVE TRANSLATE allowed variable names that
aren't otherwise allowed by SPSS.

I'll fix this when I can.