save translate error
F. Thomas
2015-01-13 14:19:44 UTC
Hi,

I try to export a part of my sav file into a text file to treat it in
another prog.

This is the syntax used:
save translate
/outfile ="C:\Users\ftr\Documents\data\EVS-WVS\WVS5Europetrustvars.csv"
/type = csv
/fieldnames
/cells = values
/keep v3 country v125 to v130.

The error message says (translated from the French text):
Creating temporary file resulted in error (file name): No such file or
directory.
Error when opening
C:\Users\ftr\Documents\data\EVS-WVS\WVS5Europetrustvars.csv" when
writing as a system file: success.

This is the original error message:

erreur: Création du fichier temporaire
C:\Users\ftr\Documents\data\EVS-WVS\WVS5Europetrustvars.csv.tmpHyg9N8 :
No such file or directory.

erreur: Erreur d'ouverture
'C:\Users\ftr\Documents\data\EVS-WVS\WVS5Europetrustvars.csv' lors de
l'écriture en tant que fichier système : Success.

However, the outfile line is just a copy-paste from the get file
statement. So the directory exists in exactly the wording used.
And the file name should end with the file format used in type
statement, I guess.
And there isn't any csv file anywhere. So the success statement seems
surprising.

So, what is wrong ?

A second question with the save translate command.
The manual says (p.91) that missing can be recoded with the command line
/missing = recode.

But into what ?

Thanks in advance,
ftr
ftr

ftr
Alan Mead
2015-01-13 16:14:22 UTC
Out of curiosity, your bug report doesn't actually say anything about
the file. It was NOT created? Or it was blank?

Is this with the version Harry posted yesterday or a previous version?

-Alan
Post by ftr
[...]
Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

+815.588.3846 (Office)
+267.334.4143 (Mobile)

http://www.alanmead.org

Announcing the Journal of Computerized Adaptive Testing (JCAT), a
peer-reviewed electronic journal designed to advance the science and
practice of computerized adaptive testing: http://www.iacat.org/jcat
F. Thomas
John Darrington
2015-01-13 18:05:51 UTC
On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 04:28:49PM +0100, ftr wrote:

A second question with the save translate command.
The manual says (p.91) that missing can be recoded with the command line
/missing = recode.

But into what ?

My version of the manual says:

"Specify MISSING=RECODE to output numeric user-missing values like
system-missing values and string user-missing values as all spaces."

J'
--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285 A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3
news
2015-01-13 22:04:25 UTC
Post by F. Thomas
A second question with the save translate command.
The manual says (p.91) that missing can be recoded with the command line
/missing = recode.
But into what ?
"Specify MISSING=RECODE to output numeric user-missing values like
system-missing values and string user-missing values as all spaces."
I know but I don't understand. This is why I ask.
Does it mean that all kinds of missing types produce blanks ?
Or that user missing value are set to sysmiss ?
John Darrington
2015-01-14 05:58:42 UTC
Post by F. Thomas
A second question with the save translate command.
The manual says (p.91) that missing can be recoded with the command line
/missing = recode.
But into what ?
"Specify MISSING=RECODE to output numeric user-missing values like
system-missing values and string user-missing values as all spaces."
I know but I don't understand. This is why I ask.
Does it mean that all kinds of missing types produce blanks ?
Or that user missing value are set to sysmiss ?

I understand it to mean the latter.

It seems to be saying that user-missing values will be recoded into
- in the case of numeric variables: system missing values; OR
- in the case of string variables: values containing all blanks.

I will check the code to make sure my understanding is correct.
Maybe we need to reword the manual to make this clearer.

J'
Ben Pfaff
The manual could definitely be clearer, either way.
Ben Pfaff
2015-01-14 05:13:29 UTC
Post by F. Thomas
I try to export a part of my sav file into a text file to treat it in
another prog.
save translate
/outfile ="C:\Users\ftr\Documents\data\EVS-WVS\WVS5Europetrustvars.csv"
/type = csv
/fieldnames
/cells = values
/keep v3 country v125 to v130.
Creating temporary file resulted in error (file name): No such file or
directory.
Usually, in creating a file, "No such file or directory" means that the
directory does not exist. So, the most likely problem here seems to be
that the name of the directory is misspelled. Could you make really
sure that it is correct?
Post by F. Thomas
Error when opening
C:\Users\ftr\Documents\data\EVS-WVS\WVS5Europetrustvars.csv" when writing as
a system file: success.
This message seems like a genuine bug, but I cannot see how it would
happen. I cannot reproduce it locally (on GNU/Linux), even when I
specify the name of a nonexistent directory as part of the outfile.
Alberto Cabello Sánchez
2015-01-14 07:47:47 UTC
Post by F. Thomas
Error when opening
C:\Users\ftr\Documents\data\EVS-WVS\WVS5Europetrustvars.csv" when writing as
a system file: success.
This message seems like a genuine bug, but I cannot see how it would
happen. I cannot reproduce it locally (on GNU/Linux), even when I
specify the name of a nonexistent directory as part of the outfile.
Could it be a privileges issue (e. g. no writing permission on a folder
in the file path)?

Also, it seems "almost OK": it raises an error but then displays "success",
but still an error (as the file is not created). Double-checking the Windows
behaviour regarding this code

/* Create the file on disk. */
w->rf = replace_file_start (fh_get_file_name (fh), "w", 0666,
&w->file, NULL);
if (w->rf == NULL)
{
msg (ME, _("Error opening `%s' for writing as a system file: %s."),
fh_get_file_name (fh), strerror (errno));
goto error;
}

should be helpful.
--
Alberto Cabello Sánchez
<***@unex.es>
F. Thomas
should be helpful.
Alberto Cabello Sánchez
2015-01-14 13:32:57 UTC
On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 14:09:24 +0100
Post by F. Thomas
Alberto,
Sorry I am not a programmer. This is not a PSPP syntax code ? Where to
make it run ?
Sorry, Frank.

This message was intended to Ben or developers. It is a little section
of PSPP source code (lines 155-163 of src/data/csv-file-writer.c, I forgot
to add), so no help for end users.

Regards,
--
Alberto Cabello Sánchez
<***@unex.es>
Alan Mead
2015-01-14 17:54:08 UTC
FWIW, I've run into trouble like this when there are spaces in Windows
paths. It looks like FTR's path doesn't have a space but does Windows
actually have a folder named "Documents"? When I run the code below (on
the example hotels.sav) and then look in "My Documents" (not "Documents"
although it's there too) I see the test data (so this works for me).

save translate
/outfile ="C:\Users\amead\Documents\test_data.csv"
/type = csv
/fieldnames
/cells = values
/keep v3 v1 to v2.

But this code produces FTR's error:

save translate
/outfile ="C:\Users\amead\My Documents\test_data.csv"
/type = csv
/fieldnames
/cells = values
/keep v3 v1 to v2.

So, again, FWIW...

-Alan

Ben Pfaff
2015-01-15 15:39:39 UTC
Does any file name that contains spaces cause trouble under Windows?
I've just tested out a few simple cases with spaces on GNU/Linux,
without trouble, so I'd be curious to hear what kinds of cases do cause
problems.
Alan Mead
2015-01-15 17:17:32 UTC
Post by Ben Pfaff
Does any file name that contains spaces cause trouble under Windows?
I've just tested out a few simple cases with spaces on GNU/Linux,
without trouble, so I'd be curious to hear what kinds of cases do cause
problems.
I guess not. The code below that saves "test data.csv" produces the
error shown when I try to use "My Documents" but it works fine when I
use "Documents":

save translate
/outfile ="C:\Users\amead\My Documents\test data.csv"
/type = csv
/fieldnames
/cells = values
/keep v3 v1 to v2.

error: Replacing C:\Users\amead\My Documents\test data.csv.tmpA8dGMU by C:
\Users\amead\My Documents\test data.csv: No such file or directory.

save translate
/outfile ="C:\Users\amead\Documents\test data.csv"
/type = csv
/fieldnames
/cells = values
/keep v3 v1 to v2.

(no error, file is created)

-Alan

John Darrington
2015-01-16 08:17:27 UTC
On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 11:17:32AM -0600, Alan Mead wrote:

I guess not. The code below that saves "test data.csv" produces the
error shown when I try to use "My Documents" but it works fine when I
use "Documents":

save translate
/outfile ="C:\Users\amead\My Documents\test data.csv"
/type = csv
/fieldnames
/cells = values
/keep v3 v1 to v2.

error: Replacing C:\Users\amead\My Documents\test data.csv.tmpA8dGMU by C:
\Users\amead\My Documents\test data.csv: No such file or directory.

save translate
/outfile ="C:\Users\amead\Documents\test data.csv"
/type = csv
/fieldnames
/cells = values
/keep v3 v1 to v2.

(no error, file is created)

This is a perfect illustration of problems which crop up with windows.
The problem is that "My Documents" is a so call "Special Folder"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Documents
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_folder

That means, they it cannot be accessed in the normal way that other directories
can. You will have to choose another directory (or another operating system).

J'
F. Thomas
2015-01-16 16:48:19 UTC
Post by Alan Mead
[...]
The surprising fact is that I can load sav and save formatted data with
this address including the blanks. I never had any difficulties. But
save translate seems to fault.
I controlled the address in sending a link to the desktop to see how
the OS declares the address.
C:\Users\Toshiba\Documents\data\EVS-WVS\(file name)
The error message does not distinguish between folder name and file
name. Could it be that it can't recognise the file extension ?
Alan Mead
2015-01-16 16:57:20 UTC
Does the same error occur with save translate when you save to, say, C:\
(if you have permission)? If so, then my theory about spaces or the
specialness of Documents would be refuted.

-Alan

F. Thomas
2015-01-16 22:01:58 UTC
No, save translate worked when saving to C:\WVS5_Europe_trustvars1.csv .
Post by Alan Mead
Does the same error occur with save translate when you save to, say, C:\
(if you have permission)? If so, then my theory about spaces or the
specialness of Documents would be refuted.
But then this would be an error with save translate, and not with save
outfile.
Is there a difference in the coding of the two commands ?
Post by Alan Mead
-Alan
ftr
2015-01-16 10:00:46 UTC
The file name which produces the data is
"C:\Users\Toshiba\Documents\data\EVS-WVS\WVS 5 Europe recodes.sav".
And it is loaded and is saved in PSPP latest version under windows 7.
Harry Thijssen
2015-01-18 19:25:59 UTC
Post by F. Thomas
Hi,
I try to export a part of my sav file into a text file to treat it in
another prog.
save translate
/outfile ="C:\Users\ftr\Documents\data\EVS-WVS\WVS5Europetrustvars.csv"
/type = csv
/fieldnames
/cells = values
/keep v3 country v125 to v130.
Creating temporary file resulted in error (file name): No such file
or directory.
Error when opening
C:\Users\ftr\Documents\data\EVS-WVS\WVS5Europetrustvars.csv" when
writing as a system file: success.
erreur: Cr?ation du fichier temporaire
C:\Users\ftr\Documents\data\EVS-WVS\WVS5Europetrustvars.csv.tmpHyg9N8
: No such file or directory.
erreur: Erreur d'ouverture
'C:\Users\ftr\Documents\data\EVS-WVS\WVS5Europetrustvars.csv' lors de
l'?criture en tant que fichier syst?me : Success.
Could you use the latest ReleaseCandidate and try it again? John improved
the error handling so it should give 2 error messages now.

If it gives the same error, could you
a)
use
show temp or show all
from the syntax window and check if the reported tempdir indeed exists and
if you can create a file there.
b) Try if you can save any file to the filename mentioned in the error
message

Have fun
F. Thomas
2015-01-19 16:50:33 UTC
Post by Harry Thijssen
Could you use the latest ReleaseCandidate and try it again? John
improved the error handling so it should give 2 error messages now.
If it gives the same error, could you
a)
use
show temp or show all
from the syntax window and check if the reported tempdir indeed exists
and if you can create a file there.
b) Try if you can save any file to the filename mentioned in the error
message
Hi,
I downloaded
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pspp4windows/files/2015-01-17-ReleaseCandidate/
psppire.exe 0.8.4-gaef3ea.
(some version number more easily to copy, for instance just v1, v2 etc.
would be welcomed :-) )

No error any longer ! Thanks for your work.
Excellent.

The only (minor) surprise: During a first run I copy-pasted a file name
ending with a sav format as outfile name in the Save Translate command.
It worked and produced, as I had demanded, an outfile named as a sav
file, but in fact it is a csv file when you open it.

There is a copy of the command in the output window but no results line
saying, for instance, X cases saved to ...

Thanks again,
ftr
John Darrington
2015-01-19 16:58:49 UTC
On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 05:50:33PM +0100, F. Thomas wrote:

The only (minor) surprise: During a first run I copy-pasted a
file name ending with a sav format as outfile name in the Save
Translate command.
It worked and produced, as I had demanded, an outfile named as a
sav file, but in fact it is a csv file when you open it.

The file format is determined by the argument to the /TYPE subcommand.
The name of the file is something quite independent.

Of course, convention dictates that if you save something as a csv format,
you should normally choose a filename ending in ".csv" - but this is
merely a convention.
Ben Pfaff
2015-01-19 17:07:10 UTC
Post by F. Thomas
The only (minor) surprise: During a first run I copy-pasted a
file name ending with a sav format as outfile name in the Save
Translate command.
It worked and produced, as I had demanded, an outfile named as a
sav file, but in fact it is a csv file when you open it.
The file format is determined by the argument to the /TYPE subcommand.
The name of the file is something quite independent.
Of course, convention dictates that if you save something as a csv format,
you should normally choose a filename ending in ".csv" - but this is
merely a convention.
More often, I see CSV files saved with .txt extensions, so it's not a
widely honored convention ;-)