why is an old PSPP version present in ubuntu repository?
dr soumalya ray
2014-05-09 10:14:01 UTC
hi,

a very old version (0.7.9) of PSPP, the statistical software, is present in the ubuntu 14.04 repository. the present stable version is 0.8.3 (released on 25th April, 2014); the earlier version is 0.8.2 (released on 14th January 2014).

as the feature freeze date for trusty was on 20th February, 2014, should it at least not include 0.8.2 version of PSPP instead of 0.7.9 in the repository?

why does the present long term stable release of ubuntu contain such an old version of the software?

any idea about this will be appreciated.

regards,

som

PS: i have sent this question to the ubuntu users mailing list as well.
John Darrington
2014-05-09 11:44:13 UTC
On Fri, May 09, 2014 at 06:14:01PM +0800, dr soumalya ray wrote:

why does the present long term stable release of ubuntu contain such an old version of the software?

Because about 2 years ago the Debian maintainer went missing in action and to date,
nobody has volunteered to take it over.

J'
--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285 A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3
Roberto Roggiero

dr soumalya ray
2014-05-11 04:02:26 UTC
Post by Roberto Roggiero
https://launchpad.net/~adamzammit/+archive/pspp
regards, Roberto.
hi, roberto,
thanks for mentioning it. though i respect the work done, i try to avoid adding external, untrusted ppa (as mentioned in the description of these ppas "You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA").

regards,

som
Dana M Williams
2014-05-11 19:28:21 UTC
Considering that the user base for PSPP might be sizable (for GNU/Linux, anyway) in Ubuntu, this would see to be an important thing to have in the repository. (Btw, I use a PPA, too, but I'm also running an old version, Lucid.) What would be necessary to get it back into the repository and could folks with less technical expertise do it?

Dana

Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 18:18:52 -0500
From: Roberto Roggiero <***@nuevared.org>
To: John Darrington <***@darrington.wattle.id.au>
Cc: "pspp-***@gnu.org" <pspp-***@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: why is an old PSPP version present in ubuntu repository?

But you can always use an updated ppa, for instance:

https://launchpad.net/~adamzammit/+archive/pspp

regards, Roberto.

Dana Williams, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Sociology, Anthropology, & Criminal Justice
1500 North Patterson Street
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698-0060
***@valdosta.edu
(229) 333-7194 (work)
http://www.valdosta.edu/~danawilliams/
John Darrington
2014-05-11 20:07:21 UTC
On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 07:28:21PM +0000, Dana M Williams wrote:

What would be necessary to get it back into the repository

The Ubuntu repositories (with a few exceptions, I think) include what Debian has
in its repostitory. So it would be necessary for someone to take over the
maintainership of PSPP for the Debian project.

and could folks with less technical expertise do it?

All things are relative. I don't think it requires in depth programming skills.
But basic computer knowledge, (bash, make etc) and a willingness to learn
Debian's workflow. These days Debian has rather a lot of administrative
hoops to jump through, so that person would need to have the patience to
negotiate those too.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer#Becoming_a_Debian_Maintainer I think is the page
which describes the process for becoming a Debian maintainer.

J'
dr soumalya ray
2014-05-12 02:50:59 UTC
hi,
     What would be necessary to get it back into the repository
The Ubuntu repositories (with a few exceptions, I think) include what Debian has
in its repostitory.  So it would be necessary for someone to take over the
maintainership of PSPP for the Debian project.
i was talking about this in the #debian irc channel. apparently, it is scheduled to be dropped from the next release, jessie. so, after that even the old version (0.7.9) will not be available in the repository.

you will have to add "untrusted, unofficial" ppa or compile it from git.
     and could folks with less technical expertise do it?
All things are relative.  I don't think it requires in depth programming
skills.
--
  These days Debian has rather a lot of administrative
hoops to jump through, so that person would need to have the patience to
negotiate those too.
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer#Becoming_a_Debian_Maintainer I think is the page
which describes the process for becoming a Debian maintainer.
i have that question too. i went through the debian maintainer link (posted above by john). it is very difficult to find debian sponsor/mentor, particularly, when i am not using debian myself.

i have submitted a wishlist bug (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=747699) as suggested in the irc channel.

as i am using xubuntu 14.04, also submitted a launchpad bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pspp/+bug/1318160); needs confirmation.

regards,

som
John Darrington
2014-05-13 08:24:56 UTC

Post by John Darrington
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer#Becoming_a_Debian_Maintainer I think is the page
which describes the process for becoming a Debian maintainer.
i have that question too. i went through the debian maintainer link (posted
above by john). it is very difficult to find debian sponsor/mentor,
particularly, when i am not using debian myself.

Ben Pfaff is a debian developer and would probably be very happy to sponsor
someone who was seriously interested in taking over maintainership of PSPP in
Debian. Ben - would you?

However you are probably right that it will be hard to convince a anybody that one
has a serious interest in Debian maintainership yet does not use Debian.

J'
Ben Pfaff
2014-05-24 04:59:54 UTC
Post by John Darrington
Ben Pfaff is a debian developer and would probably be very happy to sponsor
someone who was seriously interested in taking over maintainership of PSPP in
Debian. Ben - would you?
Yes, of course. I sponsored the most recent package uploads, but the person
who did them disappeared and seems to have lost interest.
Dana Williams
2014-05-24 16:24:08 UTC
I would volunteer if (1) I was a Debian (and not Ubuntu) user and (2) if
my programming experience/knowledge was more current (and not from the
1990s). It would be wonderful if we can re-establish this connection
somehow. I can assist in other, less immediate ways if necessary, for
others who would be willing to head this up.

Cheers,
Dana
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 21:59:54 -0700