question
Joe Curtis
2016-12-08 21:03:51 UTC
is this program available for use on a MAC?

if so can you provide the link, i can’t seem to locate it on your website.

Joe
Friedrich Beckmann
2016-12-09 07:02:12 UTC
Hi Joe,

the download options are described here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/get.html

Pspp is available for MacOS.

Regards

Friedrich
Julia Klausli, Ph.D.
2017-06-08 23:50:57 UTC
My students have had problems with running t-tests in PSPP. They just downloaded the latest version today.
Every time they define the groups the program shuts down.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,

Julia Klausli, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor for Psychology
Institute for the Psychological Sciences
***@divinemercy.edu <http://***@divinemercy.edu/>

Divine Mercy University
2001 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Suite 511
Arlington, VA 22202
703-416-1441
Alan Mead
2017-06-09 03:13:40 UTC
Julia,

That sounds frustrating. I wasn't able to replicate your bug using GNU
pspp 0.10.1-g1082b8 or GNU pspp 0.10.4-g50f7b7 on Windows 7 .

What operating system and PSPP version are your students using?

Did your students have a choice of versions when they downloaded PSPP?
If so, you might try using a different version. In general if there are
a few versions available, the newer ones contain newer features, but
perhaps newer bugs as well.

-Alan
Post by Julia Klausli, Ph.D.
My students have had problems with running t-tests in PSPP. They just
downloaded the latest version today.
Every time they define the groups the program shuts down.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Julia Klausli, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor for Psychology
Institute for the Psychological Sciences
Divine Mercy University
2001 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Suite 511
Arlington, VA 22202
703-416-1441
Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

http://www.alanmead.org

I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe...
functions on fire in a copy of Orion.
I watched C-Sharp glitter in the dark near a programmable gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like Ruby... on... Rails... Time for Pi.

--"The Register" user Alister, applying the famous
"Blade Runner" speech to software development
John Darrington
2017-06-09 05:17:16 UTC
Hi Julia,

What exactly do you mean by "the latest version" ? That doesn't mean much.

I vaguely remember there was a problem with symptoms similar to what you describe,
but thought it had been fixed several years ago.

So perhaps what you consider to be "the latest version" is different from
mine.

Also, when reporting problems in software, you are more likely to get someone
to take an interest in the problem if you state:

1. The version number and release of the program concerned.
2. The operating system you are using.
3. An example of the input which causes the problem.
4. A detailed desciption of how to provoke the erroneous behaviour.
5. Any other information which might help the developers reproduce it.

For hints on how to write useful bug reports see
http://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/how-to-write-good-bug-report

Regards,

John

--
Avoid eavesdropping. Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
Harry Thijssen
2017-06-11 09:42:09 UTC
Hi Julia

As already written, your report is rather vague. So we can only make a wild
guess.

If I recall correctly your students used MSWindows and had a problem which
was solved in a testbuild. If this is correct some of them had a relative
new version from a new build generation.

Again which version is the "latest" in your opinion, we can only guess. If
you downloaded this latest version from sourceforge that could be the
version of september 2016.
This is older and from another build generation as the testbuilds you can
find on sourceforge.

This should still be no probem IF your students uninstalled the testbuild
before installing the build. However if your students installed an older
version on top of a newer testbuild, from another build generation, the
PSPP version might crash.

Have fun
Julia Klausli, Ph.D.
2017-06-11 15:32:20 UTC
Hi Harry,
thanks for your response.
Sorry, that I was not more specific about the version. The mac users had used the pspp-0.10.1 which I realize now they should have used the 0.10.2

I did not have all the information form the students who used a windows version. Sorry again that I did not get that information form them.
Thanks for your help anyway.
Best,
Julia