PSPP promotion at professional associations
Dana Williams
2011-08-11 20:03:58 UTC
I'm assuming that a lot of potential PSPP users (like SPSS users) are in academia. Has anyone ever approached their professional associations in any capacity? For user/programmer recruitment? Basic advertisement? Maybe established a table at a conference, etc? It seems like one way to diffuse "the word" about PSPP would be through those organizations. Big disciplines like psychology, economics, sociology, and others regularly use SPSS-- and each likely have their free-software adherents/proponents, too. Just wondering what [if anything] others have done like this?

Just curious,
Dana

Dana Williams, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Sociology, Anthropology, & Criminal Justice
1500 North Patterson Street
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698-0060
***@valdosta.edu
(229) 333-7194 (work)
http://www.valdosta.edu/~danawilliams/
Dr. Ivan A. de la Rosa
2011-08-11 20:52:41 UTC
Dana, I agree with you completely. I just learned about PSPP. Out of
frustration with SPSS, I searched for an open source alternative to
SPSS (which is really a burden to students and faculty with their ever
increasing costs and updated versions). Now, I have spread the word
about PSPP through my professional listserves. It amazes me how few
in Social Work research know about PSPP.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Dana Williams
<***@valdosta.edu> wrote:
> I'm assuming that a lot of potential PSPP users (like SPSS users) are in academia. Has anyone ever approached their professional associations in any capacity? For user/programmer recruitment? Basic advertisement? Maybe established a table at a conference, etc? It seems like one way to diffuse "the word" about PSPP would be through those organizations. Big disciplines like psychology, economics, sociology, and others regularly use SPSS-- and each likely have their free-software adherents/proponents, too. Just wondering what [if anything] others have done like this?
>
> Just curious,
> Dana
>

> Dana Williams, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Sociology, Anthropology, & Criminal Justice
> 1500 North Patterson Street
> Valdosta State University
> Valdosta, GA 31698-0060
> ***@valdosta.edu
> (229) 333-7194 (work)
> http://www.valdosta.edu/~danawilliams/

____________________________
Ivan A. de la Rosa, Ph.D., LMSW
Graduate Program Director
Associate Professor

School of Social Work
New Mexico State University
MSC 3SW, P.O.Box 30001
Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001
575.646.1243 (O)
575.646.8053 (O)
575.646.4116 (F)
Matej Kovacic
2011-08-12 05:39:50 UTC
Hi,

actually I wrote a couple of articles about PSPP on one of the biggest
slovenian IT web portal Slo-Tech.com a year or two ago. A lot of our
readers (mostly students and IT professionals) expressed great interest
in PSPP.

However, at that time I was employed at University of Ljubljana. I sent
information about PSPP to my colleagues. I was quite dissapointed there
was almost no interest for PSPP from their side. They also do not know
any alternatives to SPSS and it seems most of them are not willing to do
use anything except SPSS. they are using it for the whole life and it
seems they do not see any need for achange...

Unfortunately social science community in Slovenia seems to be very
conservative. But I hope new generations are coming.

Regards,

Matej
Muenchen, Robert A (Bob)
2011-08-12 17:53:57 UTC
I just signed up for this list a day or two ago. I had been under the impression that PSPP stopped improving years ago. It's good to see it's still active. One way to get the word out would be to post notices of new features regularly on SPSSX-L. If PSPP reads SAS or R files, posting occasional messages on those lists would also help advertise it.

Cheers,
Bob
Bob Muenchen (pronounced Min'-chen), Manager
Research Computing Support
Voice: (865) 974-5230
Email: ***@utk.edu
Web: http://oit.utk.edu/research,
News: http://oit.utk.edu/research/news.php

John Darrington
2011-08-13 17:42:14 UTC
I recall that Jason Stover said he did a poster presentation at a conference some time ago.
I did short presentation at FOSDEM some years ago - I think the slides are on the 'net somewhere.

I think one problem is, that PSPP doesn't actually provide much that SPSS does,
except from an ethical point of view. So unless the conference (like FOSDEM)
is concerned with ethical issues, then it doesn't really fall into their area of
interest.

Of course, statistical analysis is hardly "mainstream interest" so PSPP doesn't
get the massive following of projects like LibreOffice - so unless the conference
is about Ethics in statistics, then it's hard to get a main slot.

Perhaps somebody should organise such a conference in conjunction with other free
stats projects like R, Gretl and Sofa?

J'

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 08:03:58PM +0000, Dana Williams wrote:
[...]

PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285 A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3
Jason Stover
2011-08-14 16:25:12 UTC
On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 05:42:14PM +0000, John Darrington wrote:
> I recall that Jason Stover said he did a poster presentation at a conference some time ago.

Yes, I presented a poster on PSPP at the Joint Statistical Meetings in
2010. It went well, and some of the attendees stated they were
interested in using the software. I don't know how many of them
actually started using it, though.
Ken Reed
2011-08-15 00:20:49 UTC
I'm involved in organising the 8th International Conference on Social
Science Methodology in July 2012, in Sydney, Australia:
http://rc33conference2012.acspri.org.au

We'd include a demo/workshop on PSPP, if there's one or two experienced
users in Sydney at that time, who can volunteer to help out. We don't have
funds to cover attendance costs, though.

Email me or the conference address ***@acspri.org.au .

Ken

Thambu David
2011-08-15 04:49:26 UTC
Dear PSPP users,
I work at an university medical college in South India,with a vibrant research group
We are looking at SPSS alternatives-some are using R
How long before PSPP can perform equivalent to SPSS 11 or 12?-thats what most medical fraternity need
Thanks

Thambu
Medicine 2 and CEU
CMC
Vellore
632004

We'd include a demo/workshop on PSPP, if there's one or two experienced users in Sydney at that time, who can volunteer to help out. We don't have funds to cover attendance costs, though.

Email me or the conference address ***@acspri.org.au<mailto:***@acspri.org.au> .

Ken

Jason Stover
2011-08-15 13:35:16 UTC
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 10:19:26AM +0530, Thambu David wrote:
> We are looking at SPSS alternatives-some are using R
> How long before PSPP can perform equivalent to SPSS 11 or 12?-thats what most medical fraternity need

That depends on what you need. All of SPSS 11 or 12? That will take a
very long time (years, at least). But particular procedures can be
developed much more quickly.

-Jason
Galderisi, Peter
2011-08-15 17:15:47 UTC
Might I remind everyone that, unlike IBM's (big money) SPSS, PSPP has been developed free of charge by several individuals who have been extremely generous with their time. If we want a full equivalent of SPSS, then we need to raise enough money to hire enough people to create it. Last time I tried such a fund raising idea, I had only two takers. As long as we free ride on the efforts of Jason, Ben, Michel and company, we are very fortunate to have what already exists.

-Peter
==================

Peter Galderisi
Lecturer
Department of Political Science
UC San Diego
***@ucsd.edu
858-926-0961 (message)
Rodrigo Rodriguez
2011-08-15 17:21:49 UTC
And what about a crowdfunding campaign? We could make some web-banners to
help donate to the project, and make promotion to donate in conferences,
events, etc...

Cheers,

2011/8/15 Galderisi, Peter <***@ucsd.edu>

> Might I remind everyone that, unlike IBM's (big money) SPSS, PSPP has been
> developed free of charge by several individuals who have been extremely
> generous with their time. If we want a full equivalent of SPSS, then we
> need to raise enough money to hire enough people to create it. Last time I
> tried such a fund raising idea, I had only two takers. As long as we free
> ride on the efforts of Jason, Ben, Michel and company, we are very fortunate
> to have what already exists.
>
> -Peter
> ==================
>
> Peter Galderisi
> Lecturer
> Department of Political Science
> UC San Diego
> ***@ucsd.edu
> 858-926-0961 (message)

Rodrigo Isaac Rodríguez Borge*
Nòmada: el artista de la multitud
*
Linux user # 471524 | Ubuntu user # 23047
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nomada
Thambu David
2011-08-15 18:13:55 UTC
i should clarify-am v grateful to all you thanklessly do this-truly am-no offence meant to any of those mentioned/not mentioned
was in need of an answer to a problem-no money for SPSS and looking for an alternative with a user friendly gui
R commander is an option-again thanks to some philanthrophic individuals is free
Thambu
Medicine 2 and CEU
CMC
Vellore
632004

2011-08-15 19:00:33 UTC
Has there been any advance in communication with FSF who was going to
set up a fundrising system for pspp? Crowd-funding towards specific
features seems like a more sustainable model for long term pspp growth
than a large campaign.

karel

Jason Stover
2011-08-15 20:10:06 UTC
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 04:00:33PM -0300, Karel Novotny wrote:
> Has there been any advance in communication with FSF who was going to
> set up a fundrising system for pspp? Crowd-funding towards specific
> features seems like a more sustainable model for long term pspp growth
> than a large campaign.

There has been some progress, but it seems to have stalled in the last
few months. It may be time to ask FSF about it again.

-Jason
Ben Pfaff
2011-08-15 20:12:05 UTC
Karel Novotny <***@gmail.com> writes:

> Has there been any advance in communication with FSF who was going to
> set up a fundrising system for pspp? Crowd-funding towards specific
> features seems like a more sustainable model for long term pspp growth
> than a large campaign.

FSF recently announced that they were working on a system for
donating to specific projects. (I remember seeing this in a
hardcopy newsletter that they mailed to my house. I could not
quickly find the announcement online.)
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org