error opening a pspp file
Meimuna Kahf
2018-02-04 14:18:30 UTC
hello everyone,

yesterday i worked for the first time with pspp and i inserted all my data for a seminar into pspp. A just saved it all the time and at the end. It took about the whole day and today i wanted to open the file and i became the error in the attachment. I also put the file in the attachment
How can i solve this problem?
I would be so grateful it someone can help me because i dont have the time to do it all again..

Greetings

Meimuna
Dr. Oliver Walter
2018-02-04 16:27:27 UTC
Dear Ms Kahf,

PSPP does not seem to like variable names which include German umlauts
(Umlaute) such as ä, ö or ü. I tried to fix your data file and seem to
be successful. I send it to you attached to this e-mail. Please check it.

BTW: Your choice of variable names is not optimal for data management
apart from using German umlauts either.

Good luck.

Kind regards from Kiel, Schleswig-Holstein,

Dr. Oliver Walter
John Darrington
2018-02-04 18:31:32 UTC
I have often used umlauts in variable names, and never had problems. I've also
experimented with Chinese and other exotic characters and everything works fine
for me.

That error message is not one that PSPP generates. It looks like it is coming
from the operating system.

So I think this must be a case of OS-Mac being to clever for its own good.

J'

On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 05:27:27PM +0100, Dr. Oliver Walter wrote:
Dear Ms Kahf,

PSPP does not seem to like variable names which include German umlauts
(Umlaute) such as ?, ? or ?. I tried to fix your data file and seem to be

--
Avoid eavesdropping. Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
Dr. Oliver Walter
2018-02-04 18:44:39 UTC
Thank you for your opinion. But PSPP reported problems with variable
names which contains umlauts when I opened the data file before I fixed
the problem by changing the variable names.
Meimuna
Meimuna Kahf
2018-02-04 20:28:40 UTC
Dear Dr. Oliver Walter

thank you very very much. It really solved my problem, i can open the file again.
I will not to use „Umlaute“ again in pspp, new lecture for me :)
As i mentioned its my first time working with PSPP so how would you recommend to choose the names of the variables so it would be optimal for data management?

Greetings from Karlsruhe, Baden-WÃŒrttemberg,

Meimuna
Post by Dr. Oliver Walter
Dear Ms Kahf,
PSPP does not seem to like variable names which include German umlauts (Umlaute) such as À, ö or Ì. I tried to fix your data file and seem to be successful. I send it to you attached to this e-mail. Please check it.
<Forschungsseminar2.sav>
Dr. Oliver Walter
2018-02-04 21:13:39 UTC
Dear Ms Kahf,

great that I could help you. I would use short nouns, maybe abbreviated,
to describe the item content. For example, instead of using
"Wahrscheinlichkeit_es_zu_kaufenA": "KaufwahrschA". Instead of, for
example: "Eignung_Moebelbau": "EignMoeb" . The variable name need not to
describe completely the item content, but should remind you and other
users of the data file what is represented by the variable. You can
describe the variable in more detail by the variable label.

Good night.

Dr. Oliver Walter
Post by Meimuna Kahf
Dear Dr. Oliver Walter
thank you very very much. It really solved my problem, i can open the file again.
I will not to use „Umlaute“ again in pspp, new lecture for me :)
As i mentioned its my first time working with PSPP so how would you
recommend to choose the names of the variables so it would be optimal
for data management?
Greetings from Karlsruhe, Baden-WÃŒrttemberg,
Meimuna
Am 04.02.2018 um 17:27 schrieb Dr. Oliver Walter
<Forschungsseminar2.sav>
Ben Pfaff
2018-02-04 21:19:18 UTC
Post by Meimuna Kahf
yesterday i worked for the first time with pspp and i inserted all my
data for a seminar into pspp. A just saved it all the time and at the
end. It took about the whole day and today i wanted to open the file
and i became the error in the attachment. I also put the file in the
attachment
This data file is really weird because it was written by PSPP but PSPP
wrote it really badly, translating all non-ASCII characters into ASCII
as question marks. Really it should have been written as ISO-8859-1 or
UTF-8. What locale and character set do you have configured on your
host?
Dr. Oliver Walter
2018-02-04 21:25:50 UTC
As I wrote at the beginning and in my answer to John Darrington: The
problem had to do with umlauts in German variable names. These umlauts
were there where you see question marks in the variable names, variable
labels and variable codes.
Ben Pfaff
2018-02-04 21:57:53 UTC
Well, in the end the file shows two things:

(1) PSPP should not write a file that it cannot read later: if
you look at the raw file, it contains question marks. This
means that PSPP output routines should be more careful about
insisting on writing the file in a character set that is
acceptable for later reading.

(2) PSPP should be able to read files that do contain bad
variable names, probably by replacing unacceptable bytes by some
kind of placeholder like X.
John Darrington
2018-02-05 09:41:04 UTC
On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 01:57:53PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
Well, in the end the file shows two things:

(1) PSPP should not write a file that it cannot read later: if
you look at the raw file, it contains question marks. This
means that PSPP output routines should be more careful about
insisting on writing the file in a character set that is
acceptable for later reading.

(2) PSPP should be able to read files that do contain bad
variable names, probably by replacing unacceptable bytes by some
kind of placeholder like X.

Here is my guess at what happened:

The charset of the machine used to create the file is something other than UTF-8,
and either it has been (inadvertently) set to something incabable of encoding
the umlauts he was trying to use, or the iconv library on that machine is broken.

So the try_recode routine in libpspp/i18n.c failed, and the fallback char,
which is '?', see line 1167 was substituted.

What I don't understand is how the user could not have noticed something amiss at
the time of data entry. The variable names should have been rejected when entered,
or at least looked very wierd.

J'
Ben Pfaff
2018-02-05 16:44:13 UTC
Post by Ben Pfaff
[...]
PSPP generally maintains variable names, etc. internally in UTF-8, and I
wonder whether we're not checking that against the charset at all the
appropriate times. I could especially see that happening in the GUI,
where there's an extra layer of indirection.

But in any case I think the reader and writer should be more robust.
I'll work on that.
Friedrich Beckmann
2018-02-05 21:36:12 UTC
Hi,

i opened a bug about this. The problem is specific to the MacOS Bundle which uses
the Quartz Backend of gtk. The X11 Version from Macports works.

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53066 <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?53066>

Friedrich