0.6.0 installation
Sam Albers
2008-06-15 00:04:08 UTC
I keep getting stuck at the configure stage of the installation. I keep
receiving an error message saying:

"configure: error: C complier cannot create executable"

Does anyone have any ideas on this or even where I might look in the
config.log to diagnose the problem? Thanks!

Sam
John Darrington
2008-06-15 00:57:34 UTC
On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 05:04:08PM -0700, Sam Albers wrote:

I keep getting stuck at the configure stage of the installation. I keep
receiving an error message saying:

"configure: error: C complier cannot create executable"

Does anyone have any ideas on this or even where I might look in the
config.log to diagnose the problem? Thanks!

This message means what it says. For some reason, the C compiler
can't create executables. This might be because you have no C
compiler installed or another reason. Try to compile a trivial "hello
world" program in C and see what happens.

J'
--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285 A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3
Jason Stover
2008-06-15 16:17:11 UTC
Post by Sam Albers
I keep getting stuck at the configure stage of the installation. I keep
"configure: error: C complier cannot create executable"
Does anyone have any ideas on this or even where I might look in the
config.log to diagnose the problem? Thanks!
I have gotten this error in the past, and I vaguely remember it having to
do with a lib that can't be found. Can you post a copy of config.log somewhere?

-Jason
Sam Albers

-Jason
Jason Stover
2008-06-15 17:43:46 UTC
Post by Sam Albers
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddqdnxbq_19fvr8mq5x
The problem is here:

configure:3423: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:3445: gcc conftest.c >&5
/usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I don't know why ld can't find crt1.o (it's in /usr/lib on my laptop),
but that seems to be the immediate problem. Sometimes detailed
problems like these are symptoms of larger trouble that I don't see
right away, so I will let John or Ben address that possibility.

For this specific problem, though, you could try 'locate crt1' and see
what happens.

-Jason
Sam Albers
2008-06-15 21:10:37 UTC
Man you people absolutely rule!

I am so close (I hope) to wrapping this up. I have installed all the
additional package, gotten past the "configure", the "make", "make install",
"make clean" stages. I am fairly sure that everything worked corrently. This
is where the install guide ends and I left with a command that simply leaves
me in the directory (***@rattail:~/pspp-0.6.0$ ). Ummm... What might you
suggest I do now? Is it installed? How does one go about opening it then?
I'm sure that this is ridiculously simple but one has to start somewhere.

Thanks again.

Sam
Jason Stover
2008-06-16 02:34:23 UTC
Post by Sam Albers
I am so close (I hope) to wrapping this up. I have installed all the
additional package, gotten past the "configure", the "make", "make install",
"make clean" stages. I am fairly sure that everything worked corrently. This
is where the install guide ends and I left with a command that simply leaves
suggest I do now? Is it installed? How does one go about opening it then?
I'm sure that this is ridiculously simple but one has to start somewhere.
If you ran make install successfully, you should be able to start the GUI
by typing 'psppire' at the command line. Or, if you just want to run syntax
from the command line, if the syntax file is stored in 'syntax.pspp', then
just type 'pspp syntax.pspp' and the output will be sent to a file called
'pspp.list'.

You also might have a desktop icon somewhere. If so, you can run PSPP by
double clicking on it.

-Jason
Sam Albers
2008-06-16 03:48:22 UTC
Worked like a charm! Pretty impressed with what I see so far. Thank you so
very much. This message popped up after I ran this program in the terminal.
Not sure what it mean but I have been able to seemingly do everything in the
program so I'm not so sure I need to worry about. I need to ask about
graphing but I suppose I'll start a new thread. Thanks again!

** (psppire:6253): CRITICAL **: psppire_data_store_set_string: assertion
`pv' failed

Ben Pfaff
2008-07-05 21:59:27 UTC
Post by Sam Albers
Worked like a charm! Pretty impressed with what I see so far. Thank you so
very much. This message popped up after I ran this program in the terminal.
Not sure what it mean but I have been able to seemingly do everything in the
program so I'm not so sure I need to worry about. I need to ask about
graphing but I suppose I'll start a new thread. Thanks again!
** (psppire:6253): CRITICAL **: psppire_data_store_set_string: assertion
`pv' failed
** (psppire:6253): CRITICAL **: psppire_data_store_set_string: assertion
`pv' failed
Hi Sam. I know it's been quite a while since you passed along
this information, but: if you can suggest a way to reproduce
these messages, then I'd like to fix the problem. Thanks!
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org
hippie dream
2008-07-05 23:55:30 UTC
Sorry Ben I can't remember how I even fixed this issue. I have completely
switched to R at this point and haven't really thought about PSPP in awhile.
Sorry I can't be much help.
Ben Pfaff
2008-07-06 00:54:19 UTC
Thanks anyhow.
Post by Ben Pfaff
Post by Sam Albers
Worked like a charm! Pretty impressed with what I see so far. Thank you so
very much. This message popped up after I ran this program in the terminal.
Not sure what it mean but I have been able to seemingly do everything in the
program so I'm not so sure I need to worry about. I need to ask about
graphing but I suppose I'll start a new thread. Thanks again!
** (psppire:6253): CRITICAL **: psppire_data_store_set_string: assertion
`pv' failed
** (psppire:6253): CRITICAL **: psppire_data_store_set_string: assertion
`pv' failed
Hi Sam. I know it's been quite a while since you passed along
this information, but: if you can suggest a way to reproduce
these messages, then I'd like to fix the problem. Thanks!
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org
"Note that nobody reads every post in linux-kernel. In fact, nobody who
expects to have time left over to actually do any real kernel work will
read even half. Except Alan Cox, but he's actually not human, but about
a thousand gnomes working in under-ground caves in Swansea." --Linus
FluidMindOrg
2008-12-30 21:42:16 UTC
Post by Ben Pfaff
I know it's been quite a while since you passed along
this information, but: if you can suggest a way to reproduce
these messages, then I'd like to fix the problem. Thanks!
Hi. I just installed PSPP 0.6.0 into Ubuntu 8.10 form the Ubuntu package. I
ran it from the command line and left it in the foreground. I can reproduct
that "psppire_data_store_set_string: assertion `pv' failed" error simply by
trying to type a number into one of the cells of a column that has not had
its variable defined. Try it.

Also, in the Variables panel, when I click on any of the numeric fields
(Width, Decimals, Columns) I get the following error message:

Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page
size is deprecated

And every now and then, out of the blue, even when I'm not in the PSPP
window a message like the following will appear (ending with a different
number every time):

Gdk-WARNING **:
/build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.14.4/gdk/x11/gdkproperty-x11.c:318 invalid X atom:
38321008