0.6.0-10 PSPP windows - Queries (WinXP)
David Purdy
2008-07-31 19:08:11 UTC
I've recently installed the version 0.6.0-10 on a Windows XP Pro (SP3) machine with 2 Gb RAM, and would welcome any assistance with a couple of queries.

1) Very long file save time ? - I'm using a large third party SPSS .sav file (417 fields x 510,121 records = 265 Mb), but am only interested in 7 fields. To ease the processing load, I deleted the unwanted fields in PSPP, but the resultant .sav file took over 90 minutes to save (9 Mb). Are there any settings that could be adjusted to reduce the file save time ?

2) Copy from Output1 Window ? - The select all/copy doesn't appear to paste into Windows notepad or Word 2003. Is there another way of saving the output data ?

TIA.

Regards,

Dave.
- PSPP New user
- Some experience with licensed SPSS v10/12

Updated version of PSPP for windows setup available
From: unknown-1
Subject: Updated version of PSPP for windows setup available
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 20:36:53 +0200
Hi

There is a newer version, 0.6.0-10, of the PSPP for windows setup available. You can find them on:
http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/5730214407_64.34MB
or
http://rapidshare.de/files/39885164/PSPP-0.6.0-10-Setup.zip.html

[cut]
Ben Pfaff
2008-08-01 03:52:30 UTC
Post by David Purdy
1) Very long file save time ? - I'm using a large third party SPSS .sav file
(417 fields x 510,121 records = 265 Mb), but am only interested in 7 fields.
To ease the processing load, I deleted the unwanted fields in PSPP, but the
resultant .sav file took over 90 minutes to save (9 Mb). Are there any
settings that could be adjusted to reduce the file save time ?
Wow! That's a long time. I don't know, off-hand, why it would
take that long. Is the disk active during that time? Is PSPP
using a lot of CPU time? Is this in the GUI or the command-line
syntax version?

Increasing the workspace to a value larger than the size of your
file might help, e.g. SET WORKSPACE=300000.
Post by David Purdy
2) Copy from Output1 Window ? - The select all/copy doesn't
appear to paste into Windows notepad or Word 2003. Is there
another way of saving the output data ?
I vaguely remember another Windows user reporting the same
problem. I think that this must be a Windows-specific bug that
we will have to have a Windows developers take a look at.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org
David Purdy
2008-08-01 10:08:40 UTC
Ben,

Many thanks for the feedback.
Post by David Purdy
1) Very long file save time ?
I was using the GUI version - the disk didn't seem to be especially active, nor PSPP using a lot of CPU time (I think). I should mention that the file was saved in the 'portable' format (9Mb/90mins) - I've since saved the 'portable' file in the 'system' format instead (3Mb/2 mins), and the 'system' version also seems to load much more quickly.

Presumably the Command line version is pspp.exe ? - Although C:\Cygwin\usr\local\bin\pspp.exe won't run, an error message says it can't find cygwin1.dll (it's here: C:\Cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll)
Post by David Purdy
2) Copy from Output1 Window ?
I've noticed that, after a frequency computation, a file called C:\Cygwin\psppire.txt is created - which contains the output (but the file disappears immediately after 'quitting !).

Also, when following the frequency computation with a crosstabs computation, the crosstabs computation seems to take a long time, but this is shortened considerably by *deleting* psppire.txt *in between* the two computations - the crosstabs computation having then created its own output file, also called psppire.txt

Regards,

Dave.

http://benpfaff.org
John Darrington
2008-08-05 06:15:02 UTC
Post by David Purdy
2) Copy from Output1 Window ? - The select all/copy doesn't
appear to paste into Windows notepad or Word 2003. Is there
another way of saving the output data ?
I vaguely remember another Windows user reporting the same
problem. I think that this must be a Windows-specific bug that
we will have to have a Windows developers take a look at.

No. This one falls into the category of "not yet implemented". On
windows this is much more of a disadvantage than on other platforms,
since windows doesn't have a primary selection, so you can't use the
selection of the underlying GtkTextView widget.

J'
--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285 A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3
unknown-1
2008-08-02 18:31:27 UTC
Hi
Post by Ben Pfaff
* 2) Copy from Output1 Window ? - The select all/copy doesn't*
* appear to paste into Windows notepad or Word 2003. Is there*
* another way of saving the output data ?*
I vaguely remember another Windows user reporting the same
problem. I think that this must be a Windows-specific bug that
we will have to have a Windows developers take a look at.
Right this is reported before.
<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?23568>
Post by Ben Pfaff
Presumably the Command line version is pspp.exe ? - Although
C:\Cygwin\usr\local\bin\pspp.exe won't run, an error message says it can't
find cygwin1.dll (it's here: C:\Cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll)

It is not that easy. You have to use the cygwin environemnt. Start a dosbox,
execute the .bat file I attached to this message as *.ba and after that you
can start PSPP in commandline mode.
Post by Ben Pfaff
I've noticed that, after a frequency computation, a file called
C:\Cygwin\psppire.txt is created - which contains the output (but the file
disappears immediately after 'quitting !).

I guess this is the only way you can copy the output before you quit. :-(
But this is strange. This file should be in your windows temp directory. Is
there a temp directory on your installation?

Have fun.
David Purdy
2008-08-02 19:36:47 UTC
Many thanks for the feedback and the .bat file.

"Is there a temp directory on your installation?" Three:

C:\Cygwin\var\tmp
C:\Cygwin\usr\tmp
C:\Cygwin\tmp

Regards,

Dave.

Have fun.
unknown-1
2008-08-02 19:54:07 UTC
Hi Dave

I mean a Windows temp directory. The one witch is reported when you type the
command "set temp".

Have fun
David Purdy
2008-08-02 20:09:46 UTC
Sorry ...

C:\Documents and Settings\David>set temp
Environment variable temp not defined

unknown-1
2008-08-02 20:42:31 UTC
Hmm.. I am surprised that XP works without temp. I guess you have a lot of
ram. (and some problems)

Is there a tmp environment variable? Check it with "set tmp".

It is normal that you have a tmp and temp environment variable. I would
advice:
- In your case, check if C:\Documents and Settings\David\Local Settings\Temp
is available. If not create it.
- go to "This computer" right mouse click and then "preferences". Choose
"advanced". Choose "environment variables".
(the names might differ on your computer because I use windows in my own
language. So my translation ccould be wrong.)
- Create a new one with the name "temp" and the value "%userprofile%\Local
Settings\Temp"
- if there is a tmp environment variable, this should have the same value.
Otherwise I would say create it also. Few programs use it, but is is better
to have the variable and let it point to the same directory.
- reboot

I wonder if this helps with the issues.

Have fun.
David Purdy
2008-08-03 12:16:15 UTC
Thanks, again. I've set up both temp & tmp as WinXP environment variables, as suggested, and am concentrating on PSPP Windows just for the moment.

There seems to be an ongoing issue with psppire.txt (which contains the analysis output), whereby its existence may be hindering/stopping 2nd and subsequent analyses.

After launching in PSPP Windows, the *first* use of say a crosstab is fine, and creates:

C:\Documents and Settings\David\Local Settings\Temp\psppire.txt
(used to be C:\Cygwin\psppire.txt with temp & tmp not set as environment variables)

However, the next (say crosstab) analysis seems not to materialise. Quitting and restarting allows another analysis, but the problem reappears thereafter.

Regards,

Dave.

unknown-1
2008-08-03 15:34:44 UTC
Hi Dave

Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce your problem on WindowsXP/SP3 or SP2. I
use the (free) program editpadlite
http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html for viewing the psppire.txt
file. I assume there are more text editors which give a good result. I can
imagine that a editor may lock the psppire.txt file and cause the problem
you describe.

Would you mind checking if it works with editpadlite ?

And I am eager to hear if introducing the temp variable solved the problem
with the long waiting times?

Have fun.
David Purdy
2008-08-03 19:43:08 UTC
OK:

1) psppire.txt - editpadlite won't open it: "Access is denied" (and ditto with the same message using Windows Notepad)

2) Quicker 'Save' - I've had some mixed results, maybe influenced by working with a large file (>500,000 records). After trying something similar to the very slow save reported earlier (after deleting all but about 7 fields), I got the impression that the file was being created much more quickly.

However, with other tests, I've also encountered PSPP Windows being closed almost immediately after the Save instruction, and having also created this file:

C:\Documents and Settings\David\Local Settings\Temp\psppire.exe.stackdump

unknown-1
2008-08-03 20:37:46 UTC
Hmmm

2008/8/3 David Purdy
Post by David Purdy
1) psppire.txt - editpadlite won't open it: "Access is denied" (and ditto
with the same message using Windows Notepad)
Strange. As you should have all rights on your own files, the only reason I
can imagine is that an other proces is locking your file. (You didn't switch
from account I assume.) A wild guess, try to create the psppire.txt before
you start psppire itself. Maybe you get some information from that!

Is it possible that you have some size limitation on your disk which
revoke's your access when you are over the limit?
Post by David Purdy
2) Quicker 'Save' - I've had some mixed results, maybe influenced by
working with a large file (>500,000 records). After trying something
similar to the very slow save reported earlier (after deleting all but about
7 fields), I got the impression that the file was being created much more
quickly.
Nice that is what I expected from using the temp variable/directory.
Post by David Purdy
However, with other tests, I've also encountered PSPP Windows being
closed almost immediately after the Save instruction, and having also
C:\Documents and Settings\David\Local Settings\Temp\psppire.exe.stackdump
This means psppire is aborted. No idea why. You are sure your disk is large
enough?

For me it looks as if there is some, not PSPP related, problem on your PC. I
can't reproduce these results. Is it possible for you to try it on another
PC/installation?

Maybe someone else reading this list has an idea or can report if somebody
has the same problems?

Have fun.
David Purdy
2008-08-04 08:21:11 UTC
"Strange. As you should have all rights on your own files, the only reason I can imagine is that an other proces is locking your file."

That's what I thought - but my WinXP account is described as 'Computer Administrator'.

"Is it possible that you have some size limitation on your disk ..."

Doubtful ? The RAM is 2Gb, with about 70 Gb free on the hard disk

"Is it possible for you to try it on another PC/installation?"

Sorry, no, there's only 1 WinXP PC - I've just tried a Win98 installation of PSPP Windows, but it led to a 'Blue Screen' crash.

"Maybe someone else reading this list has an idea or can report if somebody has the same problems?"

Agree !

Regards,

Dave.