PSPP GUI - I guess I'm just stupid, but...
Paul and/or Minna Brown
2007-09-30 12:46:06 UTC
Hello!

PSPP newbie, trying (ultimately) to get an SPSS .sav
file to function as my data file in PSPP. Would also
LIKE to see what the GUI looks like, and I *think*
I've done everything necessary to get it installed,
but as there are no instructions, I have absolutely NO
IDEA how to actually START the GUI.

I'm on an Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn) system, and I've got
the following packages installed:

gsl-bin: Version: 1.8-3build1
libgsl0-dev: Version: 1.8-3build1
perl: Version: 5.8.8-7build1
pkg-config: Version: 0.21-1build1
libncurses5-dev: Version: 5.5-5ubuntu2
readline-common: Version: 5.2-2ubuntu1
plotutils: Version: 2.4.1-15
libplot-dev: Version: 2.4.1-15
glade: Version: 2.12.1-6ubuntu2
libglade2-dev: Version: 1:2.6.0-3
libgtk2.0-dev Version: 2.10.11-0ubuntu3

As mentioned in a mail to the dev list, I don't know
if these are the packages I should have installed or
not, or if some are redundant, or what, but these, at
least, I have, and the "installation" process seems to
have gone just fine.

What I've done so far is start with the FAQ comments
on "How do I get started using PSPP?", then got my own
simple data file to work...

My .syn file looks like this at the beginning:

#########
DATA LIST LIST FILE='SPSSData' /age (f8) sex (a5)
test1 (f8) test2 (f8).
*BEGIN DATA.

*END DATA.
#########

so I'm getting the raw data from another file, but now
I'm stumped as to how to get the .sav file to work,
because it has all the variables already defined as
part of it, (and there are a LOT of them), so just
changing from my own "SPSSData" file to the .sav file
is not gonna work - or is it?

Anyway, there's no instructions for how to use a .sav
file, either, although I thought that was one of the
great things about PSPP -- the fact that it can read
SPSS files. It's just that I'm a total newbie with
both of these, and not that accomplished w/Linux
either, so....

Thanks for bearing with me!

-paul

Ben Pfaff
2007-09-30 15:16:40 UTC
Post by Paul and/or Minna Brown
PSPP newbie, trying (ultimately) to get an SPSS .sav
file to function as my data file in PSPP. Would also
LIKE to see what the GUI looks like, and I *think*
I've done everything necessary to get it installed,
but as there are no instructions, I have absolutely NO
IDEA how to actually START the GUI.
Run the 'psppire' binary to start the GUI. (You need to run
'make install' first.)
Post by Paul and/or Minna Brown
#########
DATA LIST LIST FILE='SPSSData' /age (f8) sex (a5)
test1 (f8) test2 (f8).
*BEGIN DATA.
*END DATA.
#########
so I'm getting the raw data from another file, but now
I'm stumped as to how to get the .sav file to work,
because it has all the variables already defined as
part of it, (and there are a LOT of them), so just
changing from my own "SPSSData" file to the .sav file
is not gonna work - or is it?
Usually, you use either a DATA LIST statement or a .sav file, not
both. To read a .sav file, use the GET command, like so:
GET FILE='filename.sav'.
--
Ben Pfaff
***@gnu.org
Paul and/or Minna Brown
2007-10-01 07:17:42 UTC
Post by Ben Pfaff
Usually, you use either a DATA LIST statement or a
.sav file, not both. To read a .sav file, use
GET FILE='filename.sav'.
Thanks Ben!

Now I've got my next problem, though, which may be a
bit tougher.

I've been using SPSS 15.0.1, and in Finland. Much to
my surprise, it allows Scandinavian characters (e.g.
ä, ö, å) in variable names.

Pretty sure that's the source of the following error:

error: corrupt system file: tietoyhteiskunta_1.sav:
position 331: character `\304' (�) is not valid
in a variable name.

Not sure how that bit in the parentheses will show up
for any of you, but on my terminal it's just a black
hexagon with a white question mark inside.

Ah, there we go - changed from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 and
got this version:

error: corrupt system file: tietoyhteiskunta_1.sav:
position 331: character `\304' (Ä) is not valid in a
variable name.

So, that's a big 'A' with two dots over it. In any
case, is there a work around, or will I just need to
change the variable names in my SPSS file first b4
trying to open it with PSPP? Ben - I'll send a
separate mail just to you where I include the file -
don't think anyone else will need/want it.

Thanks!

-paul

that gives answers, not web links.
John Darrington
2007-10-01 08:22:50 UTC
Character sets other than ascii are not supported in 0.4.x
The problem of reading non-ascii characters in SAV files
was fixed some time ago in CVS (see
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?15820 ), and will be in 0.6.0
when it's released.

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 12:17:42AM -0700, Paul and/or Minna Brown wrote:

[...]

PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285 A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3
Paul and/or Minna Brown
2007-10-02 06:34:22 UTC
Post by John Darrington
Character sets other than ascii are not supported in
0.4.x. The problem of reading non-ascii characters
in SAV files was fixed some time ago in CVS (see
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?15820 ), and
will be in 0.6.0 when it's released.
Okay, then I'm confused and doing something wrong.

I downloaded the 08/26/2007 CVS Snapshot, tarred it
open, ran the whole ./compile, make, make install,
etc... gambit, and gave it another shot. No go.
(Well, also did the "patch" that allows me to get rid
of this error when reading SPSS 15.0 files: "error:
corrupt system file: blah.sav: File-indicated
character representation code (Unknown) is not
ASCII.")

But I still get the complaint about non-ascii
characters in variable names.

Am I somehow using the CVS snapshot incorrectly, or
have I misunderstood how to use it? Any help?
Thanks!

-paul

Got a little couch potato?
John Darrington
2007-10-02 07:54:18 UTC
Can it load the system file at
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=1906 ?

If not, then perhaps this fix didn't make it into the CVS
snapshot. Otherwise, perhaps you've found another problem.

J'

Paul and/or Minna Brown
2007-10-02 08:46:52 UTC
Post by John Darrington
Can it load the system file at
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugsdownload.php?file_id=1906

Hmmm -- nope.

error: corrupt system file: databas.sav: position 1:
Variable name begins with invalid character.
Post by John Darrington
If not, then perhaps this fix didn't make it into
the CVS snapshot.
That would seem odd, as I understood the fix was done
way back in March, and the snapshot I think I'm using
is from August.

But is it possible to check that the PSPP version I'm
invoking is actually from that snapshot? pspp
--version just gave me 0.4.0.1, and no info that I
could see which would tell anything more specific.

I have a feeling that I've missed a step or something
in doing my compiling (though on the other hand I
*did* manage to fix that other error with the patch,
so that would indicate I'm doing things right...).

Hmm - but maybe this sheds some more light -- I still
seem NOT to have a psppire binary.

Thanks,

-paul

John Darrington
2007-10-02 10:34:34 UTC
On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 01:46:52AM -0700, Paul and/or Minna Brown wrote:

But is it possible to check that the PSPP version I'm
invoking is actually from that snapshot? pspp
--version just gave me 0.4.0.1, and no info that I
could see which would tell anything more specific.

Then it's definitely NOT the CVS snapshot.

I have a feeling that I've missed a step or something
in doing my compiling (though on the other hand I
*did* manage to fix that other error with the patch,
so that would indicate I'm doing things right...).

Hmm - but maybe this sheds some more light -- I still
seem NOT to have a psppire binary.

Psppire is not part of any released version. The snapshot gives you
something that shows roughly what it looks like, but don't expect it
to be very useable.

If you want a psppire binary that approaches anything useful for
serious work, then you'll have to check the source out from CVS and
build it from scratch.

J'
Ben Pfaff
2007-10-03 05:44:00 UTC
Post by John Darrington
If you want a psppire binary that approaches anything useful for
serious work, then you'll have to check the source out from CVS and
build it from scratch.
I uploaded a new CVS snapshot to
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/pspp/pspp-2007.10.02.tar.gz
tonight, which has everything in the GUI so far except the
Descriptives dialog that I have not yet checked in.
--
"Implementation details are beyond the scope of the Java virtual
machine specification. One should not assume that every virtual
--"Mr. Bunny's Big Cup o' Java"
Paul and/or Minna Brown
2007-10-03 10:04:06 UTC
Post by Ben Pfaff
I uploaded a new CVS snapshot to
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/pspp/pspp-2007.10.02.tar.gz
tonight, which has everything in the GUI so far
except the Descriptives dialog....
Hey all -- fantastic - was finally able to get this to
compile, and now I have a great looking GUI!

More questions/comments...

1)My GUI is so wide, it extends past the edge of my
screen, and there doesn't seem to be any way of
shrinking the width. Grabbing the title bar I can
only move the window up and down, trying to grab a
corner has the same problem.

2)Under the menu bar, I get a row full of "a
GtkToolButton" "buttons" - i.e. just a bunch of text
placeholders. Don't know if that's par for the course
right now or not.

In the terminal from which I launched the GUI, I get
several errors, so maybe this is an issue with me
still missing some vital library or something?

(psppire:24754): libglade-WARNING **: unknown widget
class 'GtkToolButton'

(that one x 4)

(psppire:24754): libglade-WARNING **: unknown widget
class 'GtkSeparatorToolItem'

(button x 2)

(psppire:24754): libglade-WARNING **: unknown widget
class 'GtkSeparatorToolItem'

(button x 2)

(psppire:24754): libglade-WARNING **: unknown widget
class 'GtkSeparatorToolItem'

(psppire:24754): libglade-WARNING **: unknown widget
class 'GtkToolButton'

(psppire:24754): libglade-WARNING **: unknown widget
class 'GtkSeparatorToolItem'

(button x 2)

(psppire:24754): libglade-WARNING **: unknown widget
class 'GtkSeparatorToolItem'

(button x 3)

(psppire:24754): libglade-WARNING **: unknown widget
class 'GtkSeparatorToolItem'

(psppire:24754): libglade-WARNING **: unknown widget
class 'GtkToggleToolButton'

(psppire:24754): libglade-WARNING **: unknown widget
class 'GtkToolButton'

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/
John Darrington
2007-10-03 11:45:10 UTC
On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 03:04:06AM -0700, Paul and/or Minna Brown wrote:

1)My GUI is so wide, it extends past the edge of my
screen, and there doesn't seem to be any way of
shrinking the width. Grabbing the title bar I can
only move the window up and down, trying to grab a
corner has the same problem.

This is a question about your window manager. Ask on the appropriate
forum for whatever one you're using.

2)Under the menu bar, I get a row full of "a
GtkToolButton" "buttons" - i.e. just a bunch of text
placeholders. Don't know if that's par for the course
right now or not.

In the terminal from which I launched the GUI, I get
several errors, so maybe this is an issue with me
still missing some vital library or something?

(psppire:24754): libglade-WARNING **: unknown widget
class 'GtkToolButton'

It sounds like your version of libglade is too old. Which version are
you running? (type "pkg-config --modversion libglade-2.0").

J'
Ben Pfaff
2007-10-03 13:36:06 UTC
Post by Paul and/or Minna Brown
1)My GUI is so wide, it extends past the edge of my
screen, and there doesn't seem to be any way of
shrinking the width. Grabbing the title bar I can
only move the window up and down, trying to grab a
corner has the same problem.
That's very odd. What window manager are you using? I can try
to reproduce it.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org
Dr Eberhard Lisse
2007-10-03 14:26:31 UTC
Ben,

I have tried to unsubscribe via the web page and per email, it doesn't
want to let me go :-)-O Can you please make a plan?

greetings, el
--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse \ / Obstetrician & Gynaecologist (Saar)
***@lisse.NA el108-ARIN / * | Telephone: +264 81 124 6733 (cell)
Bachbrecht, Namibia ;____/ if it is DNS related in ANY way
Ben Pfaff
2007-10-04 05:34:22 UTC
Post by Paul and/or Minna Brown
In the terminal from which I launched the GUI, I get
several errors, so maybe this is an issue with me
still missing some vital library or something?
That's a good question--I don't see any warnings from current
CVS.
--
"doe not call up Any that you can not put downe."
--H. P. Lovecraft
Paul and/or Minna Brown
2007-10-03 20:14:38 UTC
Post by Ben Pfaff
Post by Paul and/or Minna Brown
1)My GUI is so wide, it extends past the edge of
That's very odd. What window manager are you using?
I can try to reproduce it.
I'm running Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, so Gnome.

-paul

http://farechase.yahoo.com/
Ben Pfaff
2007-10-03 21:09:16 UTC
Post by Ben Pfaff
Post by Paul and/or Minna Brown
1)My GUI is so wide, it extends past the edge of
That's very odd. What window manager are you using?
I can try to reproduce it.
I'm running Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, so Gnome.
Is Gnome a specific window manager? I thought it was an
environment that included multiple window managers.

What resolution is X running at? I suppose it's possible that
our default window size is just too big.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org
Paul and/or Minna Brown
2007-10-03 22:41:27 UTC
Post by Ben Pfaff
Post by Paul and/or Minna Brown
I'm running Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, so Gnome.
Is Gnome a specific window manager? I thought it
was an
environment that included multiple window managers.
Ok, maybe that's true - my ignorance is showing once
again (or still). In that case, I have no idea what
window manager I'm using.
Post by Ben Pfaff
What resolution is X running at? I suppose it's
possible that
our default window size is just too big.
1024x768 is the resolution - I'm on a laptop...

Got a little couch potato?
Ben Pfaff
2007-10-04 05:33:07 UTC
Post by Ben Pfaff
What resolution is X running at? I suppose it's
possible that
our default window size is just too big.
1024x768 is the resolution - I'm on a laptop...
The data editor's default size is set to 975x480 pixels. Pretty
wide but I'm surprised that it overflows the width of your
screen.

It seems like it should be possible to shrink the default width
of the data editor, but I had no luck doing it in Glade. John?
--
"I don't want to learn the constitution and the declaration of
independence (marvelous poetry though it be) by heart, and worship the
--Maarten Wiltink in the Monastery
John Darrington
2007-10-04 07:23:49 UTC
On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 10:33:07PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
The data editor's default size is set to 975x480 pixels. Pretty
wide but I'm surprised that it overflows the width of your
screen.

I suspect Paul's problem #1 is a direct result of his problem #2.

It seems like it should be possible to shrink the default width
of the data editor, but I had no luck doing it in Glade. John?

I don't know about doing it with glade, but you can edit line 7 of
data-editor.glade to get the same result.

Note however that the default width is just that; the default.
Windows (and other container widgets) size themselves to the the
natural size of their contents. So you can't resize it to anything
smaller than the widest child widget (which on my system is the status
bar; 819 pixels wide).

J'
Paul and/or Minna Brown
2007-10-04 06:52:43 UTC
Post by Paul and/or Minna Brown
In the terminal from which I launched the GUI,
I get several errors, so maybe this is an
issue with me still missing some vital
library or something?
(psppire:24754): libglade-WARNING **: unknown
widget class 'GtkToolButton'
It sounds like your version of libglade is too old.
Which version are you running?
Libglade is 2.0.1, gtk is 2.10.11. Assuming I've
checked these correctly.

(pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0, and

http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
John Darrington
2007-10-04 07:15:10 UTC
Post by John Darrington
It sounds like your version of libglade is too old.
Which version are you running?
Libglade is 2.0.1, gtk is 2.10.11. Assuming I've
checked these correctly.

(pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0, and
pkg-config --modversion libglade-2.0)

Libglade 2.0.1 is more than 5 years old! Try a more recent version.
(Is this the one that ships with Ubuntu?)

J'
Paul and/or Minna Brown
2007-10-04 09:26:36 UTC
Post by John Darrington
Libglade 2.0.1 is more than 5 years old! Try a more
recent version.
(Is this the one that ships with Ubuntu?)
Alright -- we're cooking with Crisco now...

Got libglade 2.6.2 from:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/libglade/2.6/

(and did the by-now much more familiar ./configure,
make, make check, make install process....)

I would point out that the INSTALL file says,
regarding libglade requirement:

* libglade
(http://www.jamesh.id.au/software/libglade/), version
2.0 or later.

I would also point out that besides the fact that it
doesn't seem to *require* anything more recent than
2.0, that link wasn't very useful either (insofar as
trying to find out where to get the right package).

END RESULT: Now my PSPP GUI comes up properly sized,
is resizeable, I have lots of lovely looking buttons
underneath the Menu bar, and no more pesky messages in
the terminal from which I invoked the GUI.

As to what comes with Ubuntu, at this point I have to
say I have no idea. Searching for libglade packages
(using apt) yielded all sorts of options, and at this
point I've done so many different things I couldn't
say what is original and what's not, but as far as I
could ascertain, NONE of the packages available via
the default apt repositories was the one I wanted --
downloading the tar.gz file from the source listed
above DID work.

John Darrington
2007-10-04 22:09:10 UTC
On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 02:26:36AM -0700, Paul and/or Minna Brown wrote:
Got libglade 2.6.2 from:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/libglade/2.6/

I would point out that the INSTALL file says,
regarding libglade requirement:

* libglade
(http://www.jamesh.id.au/software/libglade/), version
2.0 or later.

I would also point out that besides the fact that it
doesn't seem to *require* anything more recent than
2.0, that link wasn't very useful either (insofar as
trying to find out where to get the right package).

Thanks for the feedback. I'll update the INSTALL file and
configure.ac accordingly.

END RESULT: Now my PSPP GUI comes up properly sized,
is resizeable, I have lots of lovely looking buttons
underneath the Menu bar, and no more pesky messages in
the terminal from which I invoked the GUI.

Great.