CTABLES Command
r***@consumerscan.ca
2015-02-16 18:08:53 UTC
Hi there,

Has there been any progress on CTABLES in PSPP. I have seen some of the back and forth in the archives. It is a very valuable function of SPSS and a very powerful tool for people in my field (market research) for creating banner reports. Any idea on when this might be implemented?

All best,

Robert
Ben Pfaff
It's unlikely to be implemented soon.
F. Thomas
2015-02-16 21:40:42 UTC
A representative of SPSS said on the SPSS list some time ago that the
CTables module is the most sold module , besides the basic one.

As other free or open source stats programmes don't offer this
opportunity it would really increase the attractivity of PSPP.

- ftr
Crichton, Ronald
2015-02-16 21:42:45 UTC
SPSS Tables was the prime reason I purchased SPSS. To run reports that Tables can do so nicely.

Post by Ben Pfaff
Post by r***@consumerscan.ca
Has there been any progress on CTABLES in PSPP. I have seen some of
the back and forth in the archives. It is a very valuable function
of SPSS and a very powerful tool for people in my field (market
research) for creating banner reports. Any idea on when this might
be implemented?
It's unlikely to be implemented soon.

CIT is the ACT Large Training Provider of the Year.
Subscribe to CIT Industry Connection - CIT's free, bi monthly publication:
http://cit.edu.au/industry_business/industry_connection/
Matthias Faeth
2015-02-17 08:20:41 UTC
So maybe we can motivate Ben a little. I would think about a kickstarter
campaign. I'd put in 500USD for a full CTABLES to get that off the ground.
I think that would also clear the way for using MRSETS in an easy way.

@Ben: would money help to motivate you?

Matthias FÀth
Ben Pfaff

Crichton, Ronald
2015-02-17 22:23:08 UTC
I work for a govt agency. They may not come up with money, but I could put an argument that as they are currently paying about $2000 per year for an SPSS licence a proportion of that may be a good investment.

Actually, I don’t like the version of CTABLES spss currently has. I used to use it on v10 SPSS in about 1990 and found it relatively intuitive to use. I haven’t quite got into the same comfort zone I used to be in back then as with the current version. I don’t know why it would have been changed. Rather than PSPP simply copying SPSS perhaps it could be improved.

F. Thomas
2015-02-19 22:13:20 UTC
Post by Crichton, Ronald
I work for a govt agency. They may not come up with money, but I
could put an argument that as they are currently paying about $2000
per year for an SPSS licence a proportion of that may be a good
investment.
Actually, I don’t like the version of CTABLES spss currently has. I
used to use it on v10 SPSS in about 1990 and found it relatively
intuitive to use. I haven’t quite got into the same comfort zone I
used to be in back then as with the current version. I don’t know
why it would have been changed. Rather than PSPP simply copying SPSS
perhaps it could be improved.
I support this. The original TABLES command was quite simple and
relatively easy to master. I thought of TABLES when I supported the idea.

This is a SPSS 12 flyer which shows the initial, simple lay out :
http://www.spss.ch/upload/1069238369_SPSS%2012.0%20Tables.pdf
Matthias Faeth
2015-02-20 10:43:58 UTC
I agree that the SPSS GUI for CTABLES is of not much use (at least in SPSS
17 the lastes that I used) .

I for myself would be contend if PSPP would support the code of CTABLES
(but not only TABLES as Frank oviously states).

So no integration into PSPPire but only into PSPP would be fine for me.

Matthias
Matthias Faeth
2015-02-24 13:56:32 UTC
So nobody else interested to sponsor a programmer who goes for TABLES or
CTABLES funktion (tbd) in PSPP?

Or else: Any programmer out there who is interested to do the job?

Regards
Matthias
ftr
2015-02-16 21:42:50 UTC
A representative of SPSS said on the SPSS list some time ago that the
CTables module is the most sold module , besides the basic one.

As other free or open source stats programmes don't offer the capacities
of the Tables module its presence would really increase the attractivity
of PSPP.

- ftr
2015-02-17 17:10:59 UTC
I myself would be willing to throw $100 down to motivate someone to do CTABLES. It is a very important feature and I think it would be a great coup for PSPP in terms of penetration. For students and researchers alike it is invaluable, especially when it comes to survey banner reports. Just my 2 cents (Well, 1000 cents, but there you go)

Best,

robert

John Darrington
2015-02-17 17:28:08 UTC
So it seems there are an number of people who want CTABLES are prepared to pay for it.

Not ever having actually used CTABLES, I don't know exactly what it is, and what people
are expecting for their money. From the spss docs I see it is a big command with lots
of options, but perhaps people aren't expecting all of them.

Would you like to draw up a minimum specification, and discuss it with other potential
donors? Then it might be possible for an experienced programmer to estimate the time
involved. There are various "bounty" services for FLOSS improvements which possibly
one could use to raise the money, and find a programmer to do it. But first the scope
of work has to be defined.

J'

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:10:59AM -0600, ***@consumerscan.ca wrote:
I myself would be willing to throw $100 down to motivate someone to do CTABLES. It is a very important feature and I think it would be a great coup for PSPP in terms of penetration. For students and researchers alike it is invaluable, especially when it comes to survey banner reports. Just my 2 cents (Well, 1000 cents, but there you go)

Best,

robert

So maybe we can motivate Ben a little. I would think about a kickstarter campaign. I'd put in 500USD for a full CTABLES to get that off the ground. I think that would also clear the way for using MRSETS in an easy way.

@Ben: would money help to motivate you?

Matthias F??th

Post by Ben Pfaff
Has there been any progress on CTABLES in PSPP. I have seen some of
the back and forth in the archives. It is a very valuable function
of SPSS and a very powerful tool for people in my field (market
research) for creating banner reports. Any idea on when this might
be implemented?
It's unlikely to be implemented soon.

CIT is the ACT Large Training Provider of the Year.
Subscribe to CIT Industry Connection - CIT's free, bi monthly publication:
http://cit.edu.au/industry_business/industry_connection/
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285 A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3
r***@consumerscan.ca
2015-02-17 17:37:19 UTC
CTABLES is essentially a command that allows custom 'Pivot' tables to be generated. An good example of its most common 'in the trenches' uses is below:

CTABLES
/FORMAT EMPTY=BLANK MISSING='.' MINCOLWIDTH=60 MAXCOLWIDTH=60 UNITS=POINTS
/SMISSING VARIABLE
/VLABELS VARIABLES=mon_noncurr q10tnc mon_curr q10tc DISPLAY=NONE /VLABELS VARIABLES=region1 DISPLAY=NONE
/TABLE mon_noncurr [C] > q10tnc [S][MEAN PCT40.0] + mon_curr [C] > q10tc [S][MEAN PCT40.0] BY region1 [C]
/SLABELS VISIBLE=NO
/CATEGORIES VARIABLES=mon_noncurr ORDER=A KEY=VALUE EMPTY=EXCLUDE
/CATEGORIES VARIABLES=mon_curr ORDER=A KEY=VALUE EMPTY=EXCLUDE
/CATEGORIES VARIABLES=region1 ORDER=A KEY=MEAN (q10tc) EMPTY=EXCLUDE TOTAL=YES LABEL='National' POSITION=AFTER
/TITLES
TITLE='Slide 3' 'Overall Donor Experience Satisfaction'.

CTABLES should be able to ignore missing values, set column widths to prevent overflow for printing purposes,, be passed multiple variables, be able to accept temporary labels for variables, be able to accept flags for percentage or count totals, be able to present Mean values across variables, have the ability to subset subcategories of variables based on their labels, and accept Labels for the tables.

While this may be basic when compared to some more advanced uses of the command, this shows the most typical use of it in survey reporting.

Best,

robert

Matthias Faeth
2015-02-17 20:42:46 UTC
additionally CTABLES should handle MRSETS like in this command

CTABLES
/VLABELS VARIABLES=$UmK display=none
/TABLE $UmK [COLPCT.COUNT PCT40.0]
by welle
/titles TITLE='UngestÃŒtzte Markenbekanntheit'
/CATEGORIES VARIABLES=$UmK EMPTY=EXCLUDE Order=a Key=count($umk)
/COMPARETEST TYPE=PROP ALPHA=0.05 ADJUST=BONFERRONI ORIGIN=COLUMN
INCLUDEMRSETS=yes CATEGORIES=ALLVISIBLE MEANSVARIANCE=ALLCATS
.

where $Umk in this case is a previously defined MRSET

Regards
Matthias