PSPP on Mac OS X 10.8.3
Anna Czauderna
2013-04-17 17:20:47 UTC
Hello
I´m a medicin Student from Germany and I need PSPP for my dissertation.
But I don´t know how i can install this.I'm confused what and how much I have to download programs previously.
It probably is because I can not so good english.
Please help me,I would like a step by step instructions.

Greetings
Anna
Crichton, Ronald
2013-04-17 22:35:12 UTC
The web site could be clearer. I installed it on my Windows XP without trouble, but before I did so, I was very confused by the web site.

The web site shows "Get PSPP" - nothing could be simpler. But when you click on this link you are presented with a range of options that is very confusing. In my case, I was looking for a Windows installation. There is a reference to "Windows (Using MinGW)" - I have no idea what this is and whether it was what I needed to install it. Further down the page under the heading "MS Windows" there were more links that might have been relevant to me. But what is each of them for - I have no idea and the site give no information. An explanation for each is required. The term "Mingw-based version" means nothing to me. Similarly, "nl" "fr" "de" "es" and "pt_BR" are incomprehensible - I might guess Netherlands, France, Spanish (no idea). You don't like to guess this type of thing. The phrase "Another Mingw-based version" is of no help as I didn't know what the first "Mingw" was meant to be in the first place.

I was thoroughly confused but anxious to try it, and for no better reason than that "Mingw-based version" was the first link in the list, I selected that, and hoped for the best. I downloaded the latest version as indicated, and installation was smooth.

Please update the website.

I´m a medicin Student from Germany and I need PSPP for my dissertation.
But I don´t know how i can install this.I'm confused what and how much I have to download programs previously.
It probably is because I can not so good english.
Please help me,I would like a step by step instructions.

Greetings
Anna

CIT is the ACT Large Training Provider of the Year.
Subscribe to CIT Industry Connection - CIT's free, bi monthly publication:
http://cit.edu.au/industry_business/industry_connection/
John Darrington
2013-04-18 07:36:39 UTC
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:35:12PM +0000, Crichton, Ronald wrote:
[...]

It would be useful if you could make some suggestions as to how it could be made clearer.
Several people have in the past suggested changes, but unfortunately what it inevitably
boiled down to was:
"Delete all the information in which _I_ have no interest, and keep the rest."

Like the page says, we do not distribute pre-compiled binaries. It would be impractical
to do so - there dozens of computer architectures in the world today, and then there
are operating systems and their variants (Windows XP, Windows7 Windows8 etc).
We would have to maintain hundreds - we don't have the resources for that. (Some
GNU projects manage it - http://lilypond.org - Kudos to them!)

As a courtesy, we do provide links to third party sites which offer such things.
Some of those sites have documentation, others do not. If those sites need to be
improved complain to them! On the other hand, if one of the links is broken or
the site it links to is so terrible that it is useless, then let us know and we
will remove the link.

I'd welcome serious offers from anyone who wants to takeover maintaining the web-site.
Again we have had such offers in the past, but the volunteers seem to get bored after
a while and either quit or just disappear.

J'
--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285 A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.
Matej Kovacic
2013-04-18 13:00:00 UTC
Hi,

on http://lavergne.gotdns.org/projects/pspp/ there are Mac binary
builds, but when you click to a link, you got error 404.

However, I have found the simple solution. :-)

The exact link, that gives 404 error is
"http://pspp-theg4cubepro.dotcloud.com/pspp-devel-0.7.10-3-10.8.mpk."

However, if you change this to
"http://pspp-theg4cubepro.dotcloud.com/pspp-devel-0.7.10-3-10.8.mpkg"
(replace the dot at the end with "g"), link works perfectly.

So, here are the correct links:

OS X 10.8 (x86_64 only): PSPP 0.7.10, rev 2:
http://pspp-theg4cubepro.dotcloud.com/pspp-devel-0.7.10-3-10.8.mpkg

OS X 10.7 (x86_64 only): PSPP 0.7.10, rev 2:
http://pspp-theg4cubepro.dotcloud.com/pspp-devel-0.7.10-3-10.7.mpkg

OS X 10.6 (i386 x86_64): PSPP 0.7.10, rev 2:
http://pspp-theg4cubepro.dotcloud.com/pspp-devel-0.7.10-3-10.6.mpkg

OS X 10.5 (ppc i386): PSPP 0.7.10, rev 2:
http://pspp-theg4cubepro.dotcloud.com/pspp-devel-0.7.10-3-10.5.dmg

BTW, can anyone try to install this binaries and report whether there
was installation successfull or not? I don't have a Mac...

Regards,

Matej
Matej Kovacic
2013-04-18 13:15:20 UTC
Hi,

a friend of mine tested PSPP OS X 10.8 version from
http://lavergne.gotdns.org/projects/pspp/.

I doesn't work.

Install process says "The operation couldn’t be completed.
(com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1.)"

Regards,

Matej
Toi James

Matej Kovacic
2013-04-18 19:48:20 UTC
Hi,
Post by Toi James
I have OS 10.8.2, and it works great for me!
A friend of mine has 10.8.3 and it doesn't work. But there could
happened some error during transfer. Could you send me MD5 and SHA-1
hashes of the file you successfully installed?

Can you also send me a few screenschoots - I would like to include it
into my PSPP user guide (http://pravokator.si/index.php/pspp/).

Thanks,

Matej
Matej Kovacic
2013-04-18 20:02:57 UTC
Hi,
Post by Matej Kovacic
Post by Toi James
I have OS 10.8.2, and it works great for me!
A friend of mine has 10.8.3 and it doesn't work. But there could
happened some error during transfer. Could you send me MD5 and SHA-1
hashes of the file you successfully installed?
It seems it was false alarm. A friend of mine downloaded file again, and
this time hash was different. It seems there was an error during first
transfer. Now it is working great.
Post by Matej Kovacic
Can you also send me a few screenschoots - I would like to include it
into my PSPP user guide (http://pravokator.si/index.php/pspp/).
Anyway, I am still interested in some screenschoots.

Regards,

Matej
Crichton, Ronald
2013-04-18 22:22:13 UTC
The attachment demonstrates what might be possible to provide more information on the web site.

John Darrington
2013-04-18 07:42:59 UTC
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 07:20:47PM +0200, Anna Czauderna wrote:
Hello
I?m a medicin Student from Germany and I need PSPP for my dissertation.
But I don?t know how i can install this.I'm confused what and how much I have to download programs previously.
It probably is because I can not so good english.
Please help me,I would like a step by step instructions.

Greetings
Anna

I don't use a Mac, so I don't know.

I notice that all the links under http://lavergne.gotdns.org/projects/pspp
are unfortunately returning 404 . If the maintainer of this site happens to be
reading this list, maybe he could give us an update?

J'