save translate error message not understood
news
2016-01-11 19:37:20 UTC
Hi,

I want to export to a csv file and get an error message, but don't see
the error.

Any help appreciated.

C:\Users\Toshiba\Documents\data\EB\save translate.sps.16-22: erreur: SAVE
TRANSLATE: Erreur de syntaxe dans 'OUTFILE': Fin de commande attendu.

Fin de commande attendu = end of command attended.

SAVE TRANSLATE OUTFILE="C:\Users\Toshiba\Documents\data\EB\EB794x.csv"
/TYPE=CSV
/REPLACE
/FIELDNAMES
/CELLS=LABELS.

TIA
ftr
John Darrington
2016-01-11 19:48:40 UTC
On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 08:37:20PM +0100, news wrote:
Hi,

I want to export to a csv file and get an error message, but
don't see the error.

Any help appreciated.

C:\Users\Toshiba\Documents\data\EB\save translate.sps.16-22: erreur: SAVE
TRANSLATE: Erreur de syntaxe dans 'OUTFILE': Fin de commande attendu.

Fin de commande attendu = end of command attended.

SAVE TRANSLATE OUTFILE="C:\Users\Toshiba\Documents\data\EB\EB794x.csv"
/TYPE=CSV
/REPLACE
/FIELDNAMES
/CELLS=LABELS.

I think you need to write it as /OUTFILE (with a leading slash).

J'
--
Avoid eavesdropping. Send strong encryted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
ftr
2016-01-11 22:02:21 UTC
Post by news
Hi,
I want to export to a csv file and get an error message, but
don't see the error.
Any help appreciated.
C:\Users\Toshiba\Documents\data\EB\save translate.sps.16-22: erreur: SAVE
TRANSLATE: Erreur de syntaxe dans 'OUTFILE': Fin de commande attendu.
Fin de commande attendu = end of command attended.
SAVE TRANSLATE OUTFILE="C:\Users\Toshiba\Documents\data\EB\EB794x.csv"
/TYPE=CSV
/REPLACE
/FIELDNAMES
/CELLS=LABELS.
I think you need to write it as /OUTFILE (with a leading slash).
J'
Great ! That was the error I did not see.

Thanks a lot.
Ben Pfaff
2016-01-15 14:35:37 UTC
Post by news
Hi,
I want to export to a csv file and get an error message, but
don't see the error.
Any help appreciated.
C:\Users\Toshiba\Documents\data\EB\save translate.sps.16-22: erreur: SAVE
TRANSLATE: Erreur de syntaxe dans 'OUTFILE': Fin de commande attendu.
Fin de commande attendu = end of command attended.
SAVE TRANSLATE OUTFILE="C:\Users\Toshiba\Documents\data\EB\EB794x.csv"
/TYPE=CSV
/REPLACE
/FIELDNAMES
/CELLS=LABELS.
I think you need to write it as /OUTFILE (with a leading slash).
Gosh, that's a terrible error message for that problem.

I checked in a change that improves the error message.
John Darrington
2016-01-15 15:40:22 UTC
Post by news
Hi,
I want to export to a csv file and get an error message, but
don't see the error.
Any help appreciated.
C:\Users\Toshiba\Documents\data\EB\save translate.sps.16-22: erreur: SAVE
TRANSLATE: Erreur de syntaxe dans 'OUTFILE': Fin de commande attendu.
Fin de commande attendu = end of command attended.
SAVE TRANSLATE OUTFILE="C:\Users\Toshiba\Documents\data\EB\EB794x.csv"
/TYPE=CSV
/REPLACE
/FIELDNAMES
/CELLS=LABELS.
I think you need to write it as /OUTFILE (with a leading slash).
Gosh, that's a terrible error message for that problem.

It's also rather unfortunate that SAVE TRANSLATE *requires* the leading slash
on OUTFILE whereas for SAVE it is prohibited.

However I seem to remember some years ago that was exactly how SPSS behaved.

J'
Ben Pfaff
2016-01-15 15:41:48 UTC
Post by Ben Pfaff
Post by news
[...]
Yes, the SPSS is awful and inconsistent and it seems that PSPP should
behave the same way--for consistency!