SPSS Viewer Output File Formats
James BRANFORD
2009-04-06 05:00:43 UTC
Hi All

I have been using PSPP as a replacement for SPSS in an intoductory
university statistics course, so far encountering no major difficulties.

However, for no particular reason, my lecturer is insistant that an
assessment item be submitted in SPSS specific .spo or .spv viewer
formats.

I have read that the .spv file format, used by SPSS 16+, is based on
the .xml file format (which I think was developed to make files
portable between the Microsoft Office suite of applications).

Would a file saved as .xml, with the extension changed to .spv, open
and display in SPSS Viewer?

Would someone running SPSS 16+ please do me a huge favour and try to
open the attached file, and report back with the results.

Thank you in anticipation.

James Branford
Student
Swinburne University of Technology
Ben Pfaff
2009-04-06 16:37:49 UTC
Post by James BRANFORD
I have read that the .spv file format, used by SPSS 16+, is based on
the .xml file format (which I think was developed to make files
portable between the Microsoft Office suite of applications).
Would a file saved as .xml, with the extension changed to .spv, open
and display in SPSS Viewer?
"XML" is a very generic format, that has many specific formats
defined on top of it. It is very unlikely that this will work.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org
John Darrington
2009-04-07 00:12:29 UTC
On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 03:00:43PM +1000, James BRANFORD wrote:

However, for no particular reason, my lecturer is insistant that an
assessment item be submitted in SPSS specific .spo or .spv viewer
formats.

At my university, there is an official policy which would allow me to
lodge a complaint against that lecturer:

"The University will ensure that it imposes no requirement or
expectation on students in any discipline that would require them
necessarily to make use of proprietary software when a cost is
involved, where there are comparable Open Source packages available"

[http://www.its.uwa.edu.au/policies/commspolicies/software,_applications_and_infrastructure/opens]

Perhaps your university has a similar policy? It would be worthwhile
checking. Ask your guild or student services representative.

If you don't get a satisfactory resolution, then I'm sure that the
Free Software Foundation would like to hear about it. See
http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/university-wireless.html/view?searchterm=University

J'
--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285 A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3
Michel Boaventura
2009-04-07 00:31:48 UTC
Post by John Darrington
"The University will ensure that it imposes no requirement or
expectation on students in any discipline that would require them
necessarily to make use of proprietary software when a cost is
involved, where there are comparable Open Source packages available"
This is fantastic! Here on Brazil the use of pirate software is so common
that no ones care about it,
and the teachers itself provides those pirate copies to the students.

We who fights against this always hear things like:
"Why will I use PSPP if SPSS has a lot more features and I don't pay nothing
to use it?"

Its great to hear that on other parts of the world the free software have so
much power!
Karel Novotny
2009-04-07 00:37:46 UTC
Post by James BRANFORD
However, for no particular reason, my lecturer is insistant that an
assessment item be submitted in SPSS specific .spo or .spv viewer
formats.
At my university, there is an official policy which would allow me to
*sigh*, I am afraid that's pretty specific to Australia where you have
embraced global information commons (foss, open licensing, Creative
Commons) in such a way that it is unheard of in most other countries :(

I hope this tendency will be contagious enough so that other gvts and
universities will follow the example.
Post by James BRANFORD
"The University will ensure that it imposes no requirement or
expectation on students in any discipline that would require them
necessarily to make use of proprietary software when a cost is
involved, where there are comparable Open Source packages available"
Very good formulation, thanks for sharing it.

karel
James BRANFORD
2009-04-07 04:24:40 UTC
Thank you everybody for your assistance with query.

I have now been informed that attempting to open the file marital.spv
can cause SPSS to crash.

Please do NOT make any further attempts to open this file.

Might it be possible for the administration team to remove to the link
to marital.spv from the original lisiting?

Yours sincerely

unknown-1
2009-04-08 09:00:20 UTC
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 21:31:48 -0300
This is fantastic! Here on Brazil the use of pirate software is so common
that no ones care about it, and the teachers itself provides those pirate copies to the students.
"Why will I use PSPP if SPSS has a lot more features and I don't pay nothing
to use it?"
Its great to hear that on other parts of the world the free software have so
much power!
In the Netherlands there is a comply or explain rule for all
government en semi-government (including schools/universities etc.):
http://www.ez.nl/dsresource?objectid=154648&type=PDF

Use of open-standards and open-source is mandatory for new projects.
If you don't comply with this you have to explain why you didn't.
Saving money when using proprietary standards/software is NOT an
acceptable reason.

Unfortunately enforcing this rule is still a problem. I see lots of
pushing in Europe in this direction. But shifting from proprietary to
open is very slow,

Have fun
Faramir
2009-04-08 19:53:27 UTC
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 21:31:48 -0300
This is fantastic! Here on Brazil the use of pirate software is so common
that no ones care about it, and the teachers itself provides those pirate copies to the students.
At my university, it is forbidden to use the equipments to piracy, but
recently some teachers gave a DVD with some tools from Microsoft... it
seems the university joined one of these programs where students are
allowed to download full version software to use it.

In the case of SPSS, the answer would be "the university has
registered versions installed in computer labs, so if you need to use
SPSS, go to a lab and use it". White that is true, people studying at
night would not be comfortable with that solution... And SPSS has a
program to allow the free usage of it by students of some universities
which have an agreement with the enterprise that develops it. My
university is not among those.

Best Regards